Time is precious, and download time even more so. Android’s built-in download manager is pretty good, but it’s not customizable and could be faster. AndroGET is a free app that speeds up downloads and gives users more control.
- Install the AndroGET app from the Android Market.
- Launch it and tap the gear-shaped Settings icon in the top right. The simple settings are pretty good for most users, but you can easily change the default save folder, number of simultaneous downloads, and notifications. Tap Advanced to change proxy settings and more. When you’re done, tap the check mark in the upper right to save or the X in the upper left to discard your changes.
- AndroGET works with most Android browsers, so the next time you see a download link, long-press it and select Share link, then select AndroGET.
- AndroGET pops up and asks you to confirm the download. If a password is required, tap Credentials and enter your info; otherwise, tap Download to confirm.
- The download should proceed in the background. To check on its progress, swipe the notification bar and tap the AndroGET icon to bring up the manager.
- Long-press any download in progress to pause, delete or cancel it.
That’s it! It’s pretty simple, and I’ve found larger files to come in faster using AndroGET than using the standard Android download manager.